Nowata OK land for sale 0 to 10 acres
In 1889, the Iron Mountain Railroad completed a rail through Indian
Territory and set stations every six miles( how far a man could walk in
a day) along its tracks from the Kansas border to Arkansas. The
Cherokee town of Nowata was established in 1892 and incorporated
in 1904. The name “Nowata” is a misspelling of a Delaware Indian word
“Noweata” meaning “Welcome”.
Following the discovery of oil and gas in the late 1890’s and early 1900’
s, Nowata became a boom town, growing in population. Newspapers
began publishing in 1894, telephones were in use by 1899 and in
1903, the first public school was built without tax money and in the
same year, the very first graduation ceremony in Indian Territory took
place at the Nowata school.
In 1908, Nowata became the county seat with gas, sewers, water,
electricity and refrigeration in place by 1911. Acres and acres of grass
land encouraged cattle grazing and
production. The Henderson Gasoline Plant, the largest in the world at
the time, was built in Nowata county and the shallow oil fields became a
draw for those trying to make
their fortune in the oil and gas business.
Nowata became and continues to be, a thriving community with a
strong economy, model school system, active churches, prosperous
businesses and highly educated individuals
No listings found.